Do you ever envy the women who just seem to wake up with perfect hair?
Yes, genetics do play a role in this but there is a lot more going on than just that. You should think of your hair as your greatest accessory, it can make or break any outfit, needs to match the occasion and is an expression of your personality.
Women with amazing hair care for it just as you would your skin… you have your dermatologist, a full skin regimen, you invest in the right products, treatments, the best facialist and understand the difference between quality make up and the cheap stuff you can grab for a few bucks at the local drug store. Women with beautiful hair put the same effort into their hair.
1. Frequent and Quality Haircuts- a great haircut will make the world of difference in your morning routine. A great haircut should fall into place without too much work, compliment your facial features, express your personality and work with your hair density and texture. Find a hairdresser that will give you advice about your cut and will understand your personality and the look that will make you feel and look your best. Splurge on an expert hairdresser the way you would on an expert facialist.
Frequent haircuts will keep your hair looking healthy and keep your style shapely, we recommend every 6- 10 weeks. (the shorter your hair the more frequently you need to maintain the cut)
2. Less frequent washing– washing your hair everyday can strip your hair of its natural oils and dry it out. Keep your hair hydrated and moisturized… with the right shampoo for your hair type you should be able to get at least 2-3 days out of a great blow dry without overdosing on dry shampoo and product build up! Women usually get the most compliments on second or third day hair.
3. Take care of your scalp– women with great hair understand that a healthy scalp is vital to having healthy hair. Using a clarifying shampoo up to once a week can help exfoliate the scalp and cleanse the hair shaft. Depending on your individual scalp needs you may want to try a scalp oil treatment with tea tree oil as the seasons change. Keeping your pores clean promotes healthy hair growth and can give you some extra volume too! Avoid greasy oil based products on the top of your head.
4. Pay special attention to your ends- The hair at your scalp and your ends are very different. Your ends are very exorbitant and need extra moisture, while the hair at the top of your head can become greasy if the same product is applied to that area. Use a deep conditioning hair treatment from mid-shaft to the ends of your hair once a week (depending on your hair type can be done more or less frequently). Be sure to leave the mask in long enough before rinsing– overnight would be ideal for the best results. When styling your hair use moisturizing products on the ends as well, like a hair serum or cream based product to lock in moisture.
5. Avoid hot styling tools- curling irons, flat irons, curling wands, blow dryers… while heat tools can have your hair styled perfectly and looking great for one night in the long run you are causing major damage, split ends, drying your hair and eliminating your hairs natural shine. Try not to use a heated styling tool every day, let your hair air dry at least once a week. If you must use a styling tool keep the temperature low and do not overuse.
6. Brush your hair frequently! When brushing your hair you are also massaging your scalp bringing blood flow to the area to increase healthy hair growth. Tangle free hair will look healthier, shiner and be easier to manage. For more details on brushing you hair and what brush to use when check out this blog post.
7. Proper diet– yes.. you are what you eat! A healthy diet will lead to healthy hair. Make sure to include lots of healthy fats and omegas found in avocado, coconut oil, salmon and olives. Always eat plenty of vegetables or green juices, fresh fruit and drink lots of water. Keeping your body hydrated will help keep you hair and scalp hydrated.
8. Avoid towel drying- to pull moisture out of your hair use a old cotton t-shirt, a towel is too aggressive and will cause frizz. Sleeping on a silk pillowcase will actually help to lock in moisture, while cotton pillow case will pull moisture out.
9. Invest in good products and educate yourself!!– Last but probably most important, educate yourself on hair care products. You do not need to understand every detail of the chemistry behind each product but your stylist should. Find a stylist you can trust who is truly knowledgeable and can educate you.
Never use bleach on your hair for any reason, you will be paying more for a colorist who highlights and colors without bleach but it makes the world of difference on your hair quality.
DO NOT use boxed color… you invest in the best skin care products you need to do the same for your hair. Boxed color is filled with ppds, dries hair out, creates build up on the hair shaft and scalp, will eliminate your natural shine and will make your hair stiff and difficult to style. Go to a salon using a quality hair color line that will leave your hair soft, shiny, flexible and healthy.